If you have been suffering from a sinus infection, you know that being down with it means a lot of discomfort marked by stuffy nose, nasal discharge etc. Peppermint essential oil breaks up mucus and relieves sinusitis and allergy symptoms. This is perhaps one of the simplest, yet effective remedies for sinus infection; keep reading to know how to use peppermint essential oil:
- The antibacterial property of peppermint essential oil kills the bacteria that cause the sinus infection.
- Antiviral, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties of peppermint essential oil helps treat sinus infections.
- The minty essence of peppermint stimulates the nerves and helps in decongestion of the nasal passages.
- Peppermint is a natural antihistamine, anti-inflammatory and very calming. It can help reduce irritation and relax your breathing.
- Not only that, peppermint has calming and soothing properties that can help treat sinus headaches.
WAYS TO USE PEPPERMINT ESSENTIAL OIL FOR SINUS INFECTION:
Massaging: Take some coconut oil in a bowl and add few drops of peppermint essential oil to it. Use this oil to gently massage your temples, jaw and the back of your neck for instant pain relief. Do this before bedtime for good results.
Inhalation: Pour a couple of peppermint essential oil drops on a clean handkerchief and inhale deeply in a frequent basis to alleviate the infection. This trick can treat sinus efficiently and quickly if inhaled regularly.
Steaming: Put some hot steaming water in a vessel and to it, add few drops of peppermint essential oil. Cover your head with a towel and take the steam on your face. Inhale deeply while you are doing so. Make sure you shut your eyes to avoid steam going into your eyes.
- If your condition does not improve then it is advisable to consult a doctor. Also, if you are under medication or pregnant or breastfeeding, then always consult a doctor before using any essential oil.
- Consult your physician before using any essential oils.
- Do not directly apply essential oils on skin, always dilute them with a carrier oil. Also, patch test before use.