Today’s modern home is loaded with toxic and polluting substances designed to make domestic life easier. A growing number of commercial non-toxic home cleaning products are also available, as healthier and environmentally responsible alternatives but with some or the other ill effects. For many home-cleaning chores, you can make your own cleaning products! Read on to know how to make your own all-purpose cleaner:
- White vinegar cuts through grease and grime, dissolves mineral deposits, helps lift stains, and breaks down odours.
- Lemon is one of the strongest food-acids, effective against most household bacteria.
- Baking soda cuts grease, removes stains, softens water, cleans wall, tiles, sinks and tubs.
- Essential oil is a powerful deodorizer and stain remover with anti-bacterial properties. Some essential oils, like tea-tree or eucalyptus, have anti-microbial properties.
Things you need:
- 1/4-1/2 cup of white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Several drops of tea tree or eucalyptus essential oil
- Spray bottle
- Enough water to fill the bottle
Pour ¼ to ½ cup white vinegar in a spray bottle and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda. After 2-3 minutes, add rest of the ingredients. Put in a few drops of your chosen essential oil and then fill the bottle to the top with water. Give it a good shake and let it settle before using. Test for colour-fastness if you are using it on fabrics.