How many times have you found yourself in desperate need of refreshing chilled buttermilk, but don’t have any lying in fridge? If you don’t have buttermilk in the fridge, the closest substitute would be another dairy product with a little acidity added- milk with a spoonful of lemon juice or white vinegar does the job quite nicely. Read on to know how to make this amazing buttermilk substitute using plain milk and lemon juice:
Things you need:
- 2 cups milk (whole)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in 2 cups milk.
- Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When it is ready, the milk will be slightly thickened and you will see small curdled bits.
- Filter the liquid and serve your quickly-made buttermilk!
- You may also add chaat masala or mint to it if you like.
Tip: You may use the curdled bits to make cottage cheese. Collect the solid floating bits and squeeze using a jute/cotton/muslin cloth. Take out the moulded cottage cheese and use.
Benefits of buttermilk: Ayurveda recommends you make it a part of your daily meal for improved health.
- Fights acidity
- Aids in digestion
- Washes down fats
- Prevents dehydration
- Boost your immune system.