A huge dollop of your favourite shower gel with that heavenly aroma on wet bath sponge could easily turn your daily bathing ritual into a royal experience. Not only does your skin feel squeaky clean, but it also helps remove dead cells from your skin, thereby making it smooth. That lingering fragrance of body wash is surely delectable. But maintaining proper hygiene is equally important. To avoid turning your loofah into a breeding place of germs and thus, keeping skin rashes at bay, you must clean your loofah on a regular basis, preferably once every week.
BENEFITS OF CLEANING YOUR LOOFAH OR BATH SPONGE ONCE EVERY WEEK
- Disinfecting your bath sponge in diluted bleach helps kill germs and bacteria that breed in wet loofah.
- Germs thrive better in wet environment. So, when you clean it properly and dry it well, you prevent your loofah from turning into a breeding ground for yeasts, bacteria and fungus.
HOW TO CLEAN A BATH SPONGE OR LOOFAH
Things you will need
- Bleach (for natural sponge-1/4 cup, for synthetic sponge-3/4 cup )
- Fill a bucket with about 4 litres water.
- Add the required amount of bleach to the water.
- Place your bath sponge into the mixture and let it soak for at about 10 minutes.
- Remove it from the bucket and rinse thoroughly.
- Wring out excess water.
- Let the sponge dry properly.
- After showering, allow your bath sponge to dry every day in a well-ventilated place.
- Since natural sponges take more time to dry than synthetic sponges, you must ensure they dry properly.
- You may use laundry detergent for washing your bath sponge once in a while.
- Avoid drying your loofah in the dryer as the heat could melt it.
- You may soak your bath sponge in warm water in which you have added a few drops of essential oil with antimicrobial properties.
- If you want to wash your loofah in the washing machine, you must wash it in cold water using a gentle spin.
- No matter how religiously you clean your loofah every week, you should still replace it once in 6 weeks. At the most you can use it for 2 months but not more!