While washing and cleaning is a daily chore, you can add some amount of excitement to this drudgery by experimenting with DIY cleansers and concocting new homemade rinse aids, not just because it is fun doing them but also because it helps you to exercise control over the ingredients that you are using and allows you to steer clear from toxic chemicals. While you slog to clean your cookware day in and day out, there is no harm adding some creativity to this grind! How about trying a homemade vinegar-based natural dishwasher rinse aid? Vinegar, when used as a dishwasher rinse aid, is extremely effective, especially when combined with other potent components like citric acid, rubbing alcohol and lemon essential oil:
BENEFITS OF USING VINEGAR-BASED NATURAL DISHWASHER RINSE AID:
- It acts as a natural cleaning agent and helps dissolve mineral deposits.
- Citric acid acts as a natural disinfectant that helps kill mold and bacteria. It removes lime, hard-water stains, soap scum and calcium deposits.
- Rubbing alcohol is a wonderful solvent.
- Lemon oil acts as a sanitizer and helps do away with tarnish from metal utensils and cutlery.
HOMEMADE VINEGAR-BASED NATURAL DISHWASHER RINSE AID
Things that you need
- White vinegar: ½ cup
- Citric acid: 2 tbsp
- Rubbing alcohol: ½ cup
- Lemon oil: 10 drops
- Pour all the components in a container.
- Mix well.
- Pour this solution into the rinse aid compartment of your dishwasher.
- Refill when empty.
- Undiluted vinegar might cause irritation, hence be careful.
- Store any leftover vinegar dishwasher rinse aid solution in a pint mason jar away from sunlight.
- Label your pint mason jar properly so that there is no confusion and keep it away from children.
- For the sake of convenience, you may add a few drops of food colouring so that you can see it easily through the window of rinse aid compartment.
- If you don’t want to use food colouring, you may blend the vinegar with some turmeric or beet juice.