For centuries people in India have mostly used various fruits, barks, stem, seeds and leaves to make their own homemade shampoo. Although, now many people are opting for more convenient options – market bought shampoos! Market bought shampoos has taken a toll on scalp and hair health due to chemicals added in them resulting in hair fall and hair thinning, which is a common problem these days. One can surely opt for medications and supplements to combat this but why spend so much when you can make your own DIY Hair Growth Shampoo?
Here are the top benefits of this DIY Hair Growth Shampoo:
- Shikakai acts as a detangler and makes hair smooth and soft. It is rich in vitamin C and vitamin D, and many essential phytonutrients that nourish the hair follicles and promote hair growth.
- Reetha is a natural softener, cleanser and foaming agent. It is an excellent alternative for people who are allergic to sulphates and parabens in the commercial shampoo.
- Amla is known to strength hair roots, encourage hair growth, and address premature greying.
- Meethi leaves/seeds promote hair growth and adds volume.
Here is a recipe for DIY Hair Growth Shampoo:
- 10 grams shikakai (fruit or powder whatever you prefer; but fruits work better)
- 10 grams reetha (fruit or powder)
- 5 grams aamla powder
- Half cup meethi paste (leaves or seeds)
- Water 750 ml
- Take all ingredients in a pan, add 750 ml of water (you can add more later to adjust consistency) and let them soak for 8 to 10 hours.
- Heat the mix till it starts to boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 15 to 30 minutes. The longer you let it simmer the more concentrated it will become.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool. When it comes to the room temperature, crush the reetha and shikakai with your hand if you are using fruits.
- Use it like your regular shampoo. Take note that it will not foam like your regular shampoo. if you find reetha making your hair rough, reduce the amount of reetha ot add hibiscus flowers while boiling the mixture.