MASALA CHAI! Yumm.. nothing beats having a hot cup of masala chai in winter. This spicy and fragrant milky tea is drunk across most of India and much of east Africa. Yes, chai means tea, and here we are talking about ‘masala chai’ aka ‘spicy tea’.
- CINNAMON: For sweetness and warmth.
- FENNEL SEED: Offers a gentle liquorice note.
- FRESH GINGER: Flavours the whole pot of tea with a fresher spice note.
- PEPPER: Gives the chai a spicy bite
- CARDAMOM: gives a dominant sweet-smoky flavour
Here is a recipe for DIY Masala Chai Spice Mix-
Things you need:
- Cinnamon sticks 4-5
- Fennel seeds 1 tablespoon
- 5-6 pepper crowns
- 5-6 cardamom pods
- Dried ginger 5 inch or ginger powder.
- Grind everything (except fresh ginger) and store it in air-tight container. You may add 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon of the powder for 1 cup chai.
- Note: It is not necessary to grind these spices and keep, you may also add them directly into chai while brewing.
- For direct addition of spices, it goes like this- ½ inch cinnamon stick or less than half teaspoon cinnamon powder, half teaspoon fennel seeds, 2 pepper crowns or pinch of its powder, 1 cardamom pod, 1 inch ginger (for 1 cup)