The smell of stinky shoes can be overwhelming and make you want to throw them away. There are a number of good ways to remove and prevent the odours. Here are the top tips to deal with stinky sneakers:
- Put a mixture of baking soda, baking powder and corn starch in a pair of cotton socks and stick in the shoes overnight. It works like a charm.
- Throw shoes in the washer. Once dry, double bag them and put in the freezer overnight. This will kill the bacteria that cause the odour. Once thawed and dry, spray with vinegar, rubbing alcohol or Pinesol. Cover entire inside of shoe. Once dry, dust with powder.
- Use regular kosher salt or any salt. Just sprinkle in shoes after heavy use and then wear with socks or without. It will kill the odour. Repeat if necessary.
- Put a drop of peppermint or cinnamon oil on some used dryer sheets and tuck them into athletic shoes or work boots.
- To get the stink out of your tennis shoes use tea tree oil. Put the shoes in the washing machine. Set the water level to low. Add 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil. Let agitate for a minute and then let them soak for 15 minutes. Then add a little laundry detergent and turn the machine back on and let the washing cycle finish. Your shoes will come out odour free!
- To get rid of smelly feet and stinky shoes you can use insoles made from cedar material. For example special Cedarsoles made from antifungal and fresh smelling cedar wood.
- A quick spritz inside your shoes of rubbing alcohol mixed with water will help kill the bacteria that causes odour. If your shoes are extra smelly, you can also rinse them with the mixture.
Use these simple yet effective tips for dealing with those annoying pair of stinky sneakers! If all else fails, there are a number of chemical sprays on the market!