A cup of warm milk isn’t necessarily the magic sleep potion, but it’s probably the most common drink associated with the ritual of bedtime. Honey and milk have both been traditionally used as remedies for insomnia and sleeplessness. Individually, they are both effective, but the effects are strengthened when taken together.
HOW IT WORKS:
Honey is one of the rare sugary foods that causes a controlled increase in the amount of insulin being secreted, which also promotes tryptophan to be released into the brain. Tryptophan is normally converted into serotonin, which induces a feeling of relaxation. Furthermore, serotonin is commonly converted to melatonin, a well-researched sleep aid. Through that rather confusing chemical pathway, honey and milk can be used to reduce sleeplessness!
- Soothes mind and body
- Treats insomnia with regular consumption
- Relieves stress
- A great substitute for desserts after dinner
- Healthy and natural
- No side-effects
RECIPE FOR MILK AND HONEY DRINK:
- Warm up about 8 ounces of milk in your favourite mug.
- Heat it until it’s a little hotter than you would comfortably drink, and stir in 1 tablespoon of honey (or as little as 2 teaspoons if you prefer.)
- Sprinkle with a pinch of ground nutmeg at the most if you like, and let it cool to a temperature that is still nice and toasty warm but drinkable.
- Make this about 30 minutes before bed when you start winding down, sip slowly, and enjoy!