I’m sure that you have all heard of the benefits of coconut oil- From lowering cholesterol, to leaving you with smooth shiny hair and glowing skin, coconut oil has been used for centuries by traditional people. We’ve seen the bottles of oils in the store, but have you ever wondered how easy it is to make your own? Organic coconut oil is really easy to make and here I am with the recipe! Read on to know how to make one:
Things you need:
- Mature coconuts or coconut flesh (3 coconuts makes just over 1/2 cup solid oil)
- Non-chlorinated water
- Muslin cloth
- You will need coconut flesh. If you have whole coconuts, you will have to remove the coconut water and separate flesh from the shells.
- Blend the coconut flesh till it forms a scrub like paste.
- Now add little water to the paste. Put the watery paste on muslin cloth and squeeze out all the coconut milk in a jar or bowl.
- Repeat this process several times to make sure all the coconut milk is extracted.
- Place the bowl in refrigerator for a day.
- You will see 2 layers. The top layer is he hardened coconut oil which you can remove manually.
- Store it in an air tight container. The oil will become soft when exposed to room temperature.
Note- it is always better to make your own coconut milk rather than purchasing the canned ones as they contain preservatives.