In Ayurveda, insomnia is considered a vata condition. Vata is wind, movement, change, instability, cold, dry, light. The nervous system has been derailed and the five vayus/prana are not flowing properly, causing sleeplessness. Ayurveda has some really great natural solutions for almost any problem be it internal or external. Here I am today with a recipe for Ayurvedic drink for deep sleep:
Here is the recipe for Ayurvedic Drink for Deep Sleep:
- 1 cup almond milk (cow milk will also do, but almond milk is always better)
- 1 tablespoon chopped dates
- 1 tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp raw organic honey
- ¼ tsp ashwagandha
- Pinch cardamom powder
- Combine all the ingredients and blend in a blender
- Consume before bedtime!
Note: do not put more that required quantities of nutmeg and ashwagandha as they have really strong effects and will induce more sleep than required!
- This drink contains no caffeine that will interfere with your sleeping patterns!
- Nutmeg calms the senses and induces sleep.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is one of the most highly regarded and commonly used adaptogens in the Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia. It relieves stress and enables the body to reserve and sustain vital energy throughout the day while promoting sound, restful sleep at night.
- All the other ingredients are healthy for the body and they too help relieve stress and calm blood flow making you sleep better.